B17CD

In December 1943, Andrews transferred to Hendricks Field in Sebring, Florida, to check out as a B-17 pilot.

One of the best known aircraft of World War II, the B-17 was dubbed the "Flying Fortress" when it first rolled out of the Boeing factory in Seattle. The B-17 C model, shown here, was used in the early days of the war as a training plane and was the type that Andrews first flew.

The early models of the B-17 are easily distinguished from all later models of the plane by their lack of top and bottom gun turrets and especially by their thin tail sections. These were modified in all later models of the plane and enlarged to accommodate a tail-gunner's position.